27 April 2011

oil paintings






i came across  such interesting pantings this afternoon (01 Magazine). MONIQUE MOUTON does these incredibly simple looking paintings, yet they are so enchanting. Plus i read some of the interview and i liked them even more....


" Neither, in a way. I’m more interested in sensitivity, an attention not just to the nuances of the paintings, but to the subjective act of looking at art. When I started making abstract paintings I thought about how much our attention is drawn away from us with the speed of information these days. I wanted to make paintings that were slow. I didn’t want the paintings to wash over the viewer or tell a story, I wanted them to be more acute yet self-reflective. All this somehow led me to the sizes, shapes, and colors I’ve worked with. "

" It is not easy, and I am not enamored of painting in itself, but it gives me a means to translate some small spark of the ineffable, inevitable potential of art right now. That’s just the most basic question, isn’t it? So I suppose it is only apt to use one of the most elementary mediums. "

No comments: